Sunday, June 12, 2011

To meat or not to meat?

I'll start by saying that after a little over 2 meat-free weeks, I am very happy with the experience to date. I can't say I have had any cravings for it. More the opposite actually and I think that is because I have been feeling really light this week and my brain has decided to associate meat with feelings of heaviness. I have felt full of energy and positive. This could have to do with many things but in a time when life could seem a little bit overwhelming and challenging, I have been feeling great and have decided that this new diet might be responsible, at least to some extent.

Therefore, I think that the month of June and after will be a breeze on a personal level. I assumed that the trickier part would on a social level and I have been surprised by how easily the people around me are dealing with it. Surprisingly, most people seem to have made the decision not to use what I may have said about Vegetarianism against me and I am grateful. Yes, there was a time when I couldn't understand how to cook something without meat or why anyone would want to eat it. The lesson is "only a fool never changes his mind", "treat others as you want to be treated" and the old "never say never".

Nevertheless, it is a "coming out" of sorts. I am not about to call myself a true vegetarian. I am definitely only experimenting at the moment but still, I do feel that to go back and start eating meat straight away would be kinda lame and if I do use my joker, it will be because I have thought it through and through.

Last night was a good test actually. After a long day of driving from Newcastle to Albury, we walked into the kitchen to find a slow cooked chicken casserole nicely simmering away. A few hours earlier I had told Chris in the car that although I was enjoying it, a slow cooked meal could well be what tips me over the edge. Well, turns out, I didn't even wince. It smelled delicious and I'm sure it tasted just as good but I felt just as happy tucking into my vegetarian tajine, which Chris' mum got the ingredients for in a last minute dash after our very short notice announcement of my new regime...oops. I made it up by cooking it myself while Chris' parents were away.

In fact it was so good that I'll be enjoying the leftovers tonight while everyone gets stuck into a juicy roast beef around me. Manouf!

1 comment:

  1. I just recently read that Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, eats only the meat of animals he has killed himself. We know him to have gotten something right in the past ... but I must admit his approach would lead me directly to vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete